Google
 

Monday, March 26, 2007

Here I am...

Well, as a first post I guess I should introduce myself & explain a bit about what I'd like to accomplish with this blog. At the moment I would say I am a novice cartoonist, but the important part is that I am a cartoonist. My favorite quote to live by is: "Become through being" (Aristotle), and that is exactly what I am trying to do. Along with that I would like to share the journey of my trials and errors with anyone interested so that others might benefit from my learning process.
I would like to give credit from the start to two people who have already helped me immensly, & who have also inspired me to participate in the free exchange of ideas, namely JK, and Will. They are both users of Toon Boom Studio, (among many other programs) which is the program I have been learning on. I will try to gear this blog towards tutorials & tips that I can share regarding TBS, as well as the animation process in general. That said, all questions & comments are always welcome whatever they might be about. If I can't answer your question, I will be sure to direct you to someone who can. That's about all I can think of for a first post, I will upload some stuff as soon as I get on my own comp, but for now: WELCOME TO PIRATE PRODUCTION TOONS

3 comments:

Jerry Keslensky said...

We are looking forward to your contributions to the exchange of ideas relating to Toon Boom Studio and animation work in general. We have been meaning to write some more blog articles ourselves, but have been very busy, but more good stuff will come so thanks for the links.

Just a quick comment on your being an animator: If you are working on making animated content and you are doing more than making pictures appear to move, then you are a cartoonist. A cartoonist interprets reality and caricatures that reality in his/her work. A cartoonist need not be funny but if they are then they are also a humorist. A cartoonist can be thought of as a great deal more artistically than just an animator.

Pat the Pirate said...

Thanks alot JK, & glad youre on board with the idea. You make an interesting comment on the distinction between an animator & a cartoonist. I have had a similar distinction in mind, but couldn't have told you which was which due to my lack of "industry vocabulary" so to speak. My background is in Philosophy & History, so I'm learning most of this terminology as I go, but based on what you said, I certainly hope to be a cartoonist.

Another distinction I've been noticing on my own is that between "artist" & "creator." I know for a fact that my artwork will never be the most aesthetically pleasing, but it is enough to serve the purpose I need. I am more concerned with creating a story/character/world & giving it life than I am with how picture perfect all that looks.
That said, I have seen a lot of beautifully drawn, horrible cartoons, and vice versa, but I think I like leaning to the side of "creator" rather than "artist."

Jerry Keslensky said...

Don't worry about your drawing skills as they will naturally improve as you do more drawings. The trick is to actually keep doing those drawings so that your work improves. The more you do the better you will get.

One tip is to draw from life as much as possible rather than copy cartoons. When you draw, think. Don't just mindlessly make lines on the screen or the paper. Think about what each line or shape represents and your drawings will become more meaningful. Think about weight, forces, and depth.Drawing from life makes you think in 3D so that your drawings are solid.