Google
 

Monday, August 13, 2007

AF - Character Design Challenge 14 - Bisonator


Well this week's character design challenge was a fun one. Bisonator - half man, half bison, all gladiator. I went with a siamese twin/centaur type thing for my design. I'm really happy with the coloring & shading of the human body, but the head in general is weak - especially the mouth. I was kinda outta gas when I got to that point & rushed it more than I'd have liked, & it really takes away from the rest of him. Could've taken more time with the coloring of the bison as well, but I don't hate it. Overall I think this is a pretty good drawing for me, but of course I'd love to hear what you think as well.


2 comments:

Jerry Keslensky said...

Very solid looking, a nice improvement, perhaps the use of color and shading helps you become less flat in your work. Or more likely it is just that you are focusing on being more 3D when you draw.

Pat the Pirate said...

Thanks! I'm trying :) been taking pointers from several people & I'm definitely seeing an improvement in my work. Still lots of things wrong with my stuff usually, but I think each attempt is getting a little stronger, so that's good. Need to work on my speed now, it takes me forever to draw anything :). I took a lot of time with the shading of the human in this pic & it helped, although it seemed to really slow toon boom down. First time I experienced that, which was kind of disapointing actually. I know there were a ton of vector points involved, but it was also just 4 or 5 elements on a single frame. Once I got done coloring the human, I had to hide that element or TBS slowed to a crawl. I don't know how I could put that much into coloring/shading something & then actually animate it without crashing the program.

That may be something that the new brushes in V4.0 will help with, & I didn't do any "flattening" or "optimizing" in this instance, so that probably helped slow me down a lot, but ultimately I'd like to be able to color & shade things as I want them to look without worrying about the software handling it. Maybe I'll flatten it tonight & see if it runs much smoother then.