Google
 

Monday, August 13, 2007

Cool, Simple Animation Program

OMG two posts in one day!!! Can you tell I'm busy at work? Just found a link someone posted to this cool looking animation program. It looks very basic, but it might be a great starter kit for a kid or anyone new to animation. I'm not sure what it is capable of, but I watched a tutorial(with no speakers) and it looks like a decent blend of simple yet powerful(somewhat).

Basically though it just lets you manipulate simple drawings either by "pinning" them down or by simply pressing a record button then moving your drawings around, then press play. This doesn't add any squash/stretch of course, but it is pretty cool nonetheless. The pinning method looks like you pin down a drawing in various spots (feet & torso in their example) then you can grab one at a time & manipulate it while the other points remain stationary. This does have some squash & stretch involved & the method seems somewhat remeniscent of "pegs" - of a sort anyway.

It also looked in the tutorial I saw like the drawings are put in some sort of box - they are circled with a tool & then a box shows around them, at which time they can be manipulated. I only bring this up because I'm curious if this is some type of "vector box" as that is one of the new features in TBS 4.0. I'm sure they are different, but I wonder if this is a sort of dumbed-down version.

Anyway, check it out for what it's worth, I think it's a neat looking program & I hate myself for using the word neat in a sentence. But maybe a kid in your life has an interest & you don't think he can handle complicated software, well this may be for you :) Here it is: Moving Sketch

4 comments:

Jerry Keslensky said...

I suspect it is more like a deformation cage used in 3D animation. The vector box in V4 actually lets you manipulate a bitmapped image, deform it, erase parts, cut parts, draw on it, add colors etc. It is the closest thing to bitmap editing you could get without actually letting you edit the bitmap. How's that for getting you all stoked up. I played with the same thing a little in TB StoryBoard!!

Pat the Pirate said...

Sounds like fun! I'm really looking forward to the new release, it sounds like a ton of new features are in store between that, the feathered edges & converting lines to strokes - I'm sold!

John said...

Howdy,
Thanks for visiting my site. I am most deffinately going to watch yours now more closely. I'm new at this blog stuff so forgive me if my site sucks at this time hahahaha I hope to input as much as I can when ever possible.

cart

John said...

hey there pat,

I have to dig thru some old files in the garage this weekend and I'll find the drawings and get them scanned in for the animation disc. I just prey that the cat hasn't p--sed on that box too.....whew what a foul animal.