Google
 

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Getting there...

Yet another update on the walk cycle. I keep falling in & out of love with it now, I think I've just been staring at the same thing for too long. I was absolutely hating it last night, but then I got some really good feedback this morning, so maybe I was being a bit hard on myself. Regardless, it's still not where I want it to be, but it is getting closer. I should be able to get it done to my liking in the near future.

Here are 2 versions of the walk. First is 28 frames looping on 1's, then 56 frames looping on 2's. I also did a quick & dirty BG in TBS based on the sketch in my previous post. Ultimately I'd like to animate most of the BG elements to make the world seem "alive," but I'm not going to worry about that until the walk is where I want it. It's not a BG contest afterall...

I'm very curious to hear opinions on these, especially in terms of fast vs slow. Everytime I look at it again I like a different version, & I'm having trouble deciding. Is it too fast on 1's? Too slow on 2's? Aaaaaahhhhh!!! *pulls hair out* Well, whatever I go with I just hope I get it looking good by the end. I've already learned a lot through the 6 million mistakes I've corrected already & there are plenty more to go... So in the meantime, please give me your thoughts on the 2 versions.
On 1's

On 2's

3 comments:

Jerry Keslensky said...

First off Pat, you are doing a really good job and should be very proud of your progress. The background is surreal and I like it for this piece. On the walk, the overall timing on 1's is closer to what you probably want, but I suggest that you do an uneven timing scheme as a test. Not all 1's or all 2's but for example on the toe drag only you might want to use 2's. Eventually you may find that you prefer an extra inbetween. But the trick is to add a frame or two to vary the speed first and then decide if an inbetween looks better than just a hold. You can test this out at different spots in walk, I just think the toe drag is a good place to start. Also don't get too much action going on in your background as that will distract viewer attention from the character. All in all this is your best work that I have seen so far. Way to go!!

Pat the Pirate said...

Thanks! That means a lot!

I think you're right about the timing. Once I get the last of my revisions done I will toy with the holds & inbetweens. It's passable as is, but I think you're right & there is a better sense of timing that can be achieved by varying the exposures on some frames.

Good point about movement in the BG too. I don't think I'll do that for this piece as the focus is certainly on the walk, but I have a couple ideas for using the same BG in the future & may or may not add some movements to it then. Sparingly of course, but I could see it helping to set the mood on an establishing shot.

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement, whatever the results of the challenge, I've definitely learned a ton over the last month or so.

John said...

I have to agree with jk, Wow this is good stuff! But like he said whatch that BG stuff it should compliment your character not be the character. by the wya thanks for stopping over at my lil blog and liking Shera.....I've been having some fun with the concept work for the poster I'm doing of her.

John