Google
 

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Pat The Pirate Rough Model Sheet

Model sheets - yet another thing I have a hard time with... I've had some ideas lately for a story, & it actually involves my toon self, Pat The Pirate. Here is a VERY rough model of him, done with the assistance of some photos of me. I'll be the first to admit I'm not above tracing if it will help me get the feel for something that I struggle with freehand.

I don't know if that's frowned on by the art community or what, but I don't really care either. I know I can take what I have now & work it into a cool looking character that I'll be able to draw from all angles. To me that's good results & that's what I'm looking for. I actually think tracing can help improve drawing skills as it helps you to concentrate on forms & shapes, which can only improve your freehand skills.

Anyway, here it is, 3 turns on 1's & 3 on 2's. Let me know what you think & I'll have more soon as I refine it.

3 comments:

John said...

Hey there sir!

Don't worry about tracing thats what all us artst do. Especially in animation. how do you think they stay on model so well. But drawing free hand and staying on model in a comic or cartoon form or format can be difficult. There are different ways of doing this and practices that you can do to help train your eye and hand to perform this task. If you wanna know what these are and promise not to get bored with my words I'll help you along in any question you may have.

Damn I still have to find those darn plans for the ani table.
sorry bout that I'll get on that right away.

Other than that great work coming along there sir. Have a great evening

John
cartuneman

Jerry Keslensky said...

Pat,
A very interesting tip concerning rotoscoping. If you film a sequence and then trace the live action exactly as filmed your animation will be stiff and mechanical. That is because of the nature of live action VS animation drawing. Rotoscoping and motion capture are useful tools but to achieve good animation results you will want to introduce exaggeration and deformation to account for the difference between viewing a real 3D form and drawing a representation of a 3D form.

Pat the Pirate said...

Agreed. I don't have any intention of animating this as it is, I'm just using it as a reference for myself so I can stay on model from all angles. I'm figuring I can actually use this for a variety of characters with the same basic build/body type, and just wonk them in various ways. I have no real desire to rotoscope anything for an actual animation, but until I get better at visualizing characters from different angles, I think this approach will be of some help. As I improve (hopefully), I can start doing it on my own without tracing frames of video.

Plus, I would never animate an accurate version of myself... an idealized muscle bound, good looking version maybe, but not the skin & bones version that exists in reality :)