Google
 

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Comics Coming Soon

Hey all, just a quick note to say I should be releasing weekly comics in the near future. Blatantly stealing from my buddy Rob Campbell, I think that weekly comics will help generate more return traffic to the site. As it stands, who knows when I'll have an actuall animation completed, & I can completely understand how a site with no content would get boring fast. Hopefully the comics will keep it interesting. I think it will end up being a rather eclectic mix, as I've got some ideas for a series of father/son fishing related stuff, and I've agreed to do the artwork for a neighbor who has a bunch of ideas for single panel strips sort of in the Far Side style. I have a couple finished, but I'm trying to hold off releasing any until I'm pretty well ahead of the game, I think 6-8 weeks should cover the inevitable dry spell. But stay "tooned" I promise to produce something soon.

2 comments:

Jerry Keslensky said...

Anything that gets you drawing is a positive. Even drawings that express your current sadness are a great release. A good cartoon expresses emotional feelings and those feelings don't always have to be humor or joy. All your friends are looking forward to seeing you making some cartoons so this is a welcomed post. Single panels are just still frames from an animation so practice capturing the energy of an animated cartoon in a single picture or two or three in a strip. Make all your poses dynamic and strong as if you took a still photo from an animated cartoon. It will help you as you move forward. And keep your chin up so that it will be easier for life to hit you in the face with a cream pie.

Pat the Pirate said...

I hear what you're saying about poses & such. It's not my strong suit yet, but something I'm improving at. In fact that's what took the longest amount of time for me in my first strip. It's a Marie Antoinette gag, but when I first drew it it was visually dead, as I only put a picture around the joke my neighbor gave me. Then I started putting my own spin on it & tried to add more visual stimuli. It's not a slapstick bit so I'd be detracting from it if I tried to force in a big time visual gag, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I put her in a store & added a greasy, devious looking clerk, & I also crewated my best background so far. I did some playing around & achieved a really good looking glass window if I say so myself. Even though it's an insignificant part of the toon, I'm really happy with the result of the glass. I put an awning behind it, and it really adds another dimension to the drawing. Not that you can see it yet, but maybe I'll post a quickie tut on drawing realistic looking glass. It was definitely something I had fun with.

I also like what you say about toons not necessarily being humorous. I think I may work on a tribute piece to both my father & Erin's. I have a vision of the two of them at a pub on top of a cloud, & I can take that in a variety of directions. And I think you're right about the therapeudic value that can have.