Google
 

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Just Messing Around

Well I was playing with a new program I downloaded recently called Pencil. It's free, open source, and the code is available (in fact I think they are looking for programming help). The main thing that attracted me to Pencil is the fact you can draw & animate both bitmaps and vector shapes. I think this is one hell of a feature, especially for a free program.

I really haven't spent much time playing with it yet, but I can say I'm a big fan of the drawing tools, particularly on bitmap layers. The pencil tool itself serves different functions depending if you're drawing on a bitmap or vector layer. On bitmaps layers it behaves beautifully like a pencil, & is one of the most natural feeling drawing tools I've come across yet. On vector layers, the pencil serves much like the stroke tool in TBS, it draws invisible lines that make borders you can fill in with the paint bucket.

The coloring tools in pencil are limited but ok. The palette is very basic to start, but you can add custom colors and save palettes as well so it's no big deal. I didn't do much coloring in Pencil, but I did find a look I really like by sketching in Pencil on a bitmap layer, then exporting as a series of PNGs. I then imported these into TBS & added a drawing layer underneath where I added color. The animation is very simple, just 3 drawings, & the eye itself could be better for sure, but the overall look is very pleasing to me & I think I'll be attempting more stuff in this style.

I'd love to hear what people think, so feel free to leave crits & comments.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, I'm glad you had a chance to work with Pencil. I really like your test animation!

Pat the Pirate said...

Thanks, Will! Glad you like the blink/wink. I've since found out that it's pretty bad anatomically speaking though... The top & bottom lid move evenly & meet in the middle, but in reality the top lid should come down further, below the 1/2 way mark.
Not a big deal as this wasn't an anatomy exercise, but always good to know. The eyeball itself stretches a little on the middle frame of the blink too, but really this was just about playing with Pencil itself. Could have done a ball bounce or whatever, but I've been drawing a lot of eyes lately & just stuck with that theme I guess.

Blogio said...

Hello !
I am a Blogger and web developer (and artist) who has been trying to improve the blogosphere for Bloggers. The problem? Too many irrelevant press releases. Also, hard to make money.
So I invented Blogio, which is a pipeline between marketers & bloggers. The idea is to let marketers choose their niche and write RELEVANT material that bloggers might care about. Also, share the revenue with the Bloggers.
Last week, we (finally) officially launched. We’re testing this new concept to see if it works. So, we have our first half dozen orders from marketers. And your blog happens to be in a niche requested by one of these marketers.
I’m asking you to take a look at Blogio. If you like what you see, open an account (there is no charge) and expect good, relevant content from Blogio. If you don’t like what you see – well, I tried. (Your comments & suggestions are welcome).
Even though you don’t know me, I ask that you take a leap of faith and consider my sincere goal – to help the blogging movement grow and prosper. Below is a snippet of the communique that we believe you would be interested in reviewing:
SJ Namo Inc., a leading developer and global supplier of software solutions for the World Wide Web, is thrilled to announce their; "Bloggers that Flash with FreeMotion" contest, to promote their Ultimate Flash Animation Solution: Namo FreeMotion 2008. All Bloggers are invited to download their free trial at: www.namo.com or go directly to the blogger download page at: http://www.namo.com/about/events/bloggers.php . The contest is open to an...

Please consider following the links provide here to review the entire communique. We only ask that you use the following invite code to associate your account to the information relevant to your interests
To read the entire communiqué please use your Invite Code:
772d607c-f7d7-42d7-a7ef-507baa63ff73
Thanks for your consideration of Blogio.
Respectfully,
Ric Dragon
President
Blogio
Learn more about Blogio.com